11.22.2015

Farmer's Wife Quilt Along - Carrie



Thanks for stopping by!  It is my stop (again) on the Farmer's Wife 1930's Quilt Along hosted by Kerry at Very Kerry Berry.
This week I am sharing my version of the block Carrie.
Carrie is the name of my maternal grandmother.  I have such fond memories of 
spending time with her when I was a child.  
We would play "Beauty Shop" and have tea parties together.

One of my fondest memories is when we shopped for fabric for a purse that she was making for me.  I vividly remember the pink and green floral I picked - very much of the era - 1970's.
She was a big influence in my love of sewing.

[ Left to Right] My Grandmother Carrie, Great Grandmother Bertha and My Mother Ann,  at the Yakima Farm House
Carrie wasn't a farm girl - definitely a city girl like me : )
She grew up in the city of Chicago, Illinois and moved to Seattle in the early 1930's. 
Her parents, August and Bertha, owned a farm in the Eastern part of Washington State in a town called Yakima.
My mom, Ann, shares fond memories of her times spent there every summer.


This block was a fun one to make and, of course, I couldn't resist fussy cutting the small squares.
The fabrics used for this block are:
Bunny and bird print from Lecien, Tiny Cherry print from Sevenberry Fabrics,  and Pink Floral from Windham Fabrics "feedback" Inspired by American Jane


The Carrie block is a straight forward one to make.
I did a little planning this time and cut all the fussy cut motifs at the same time.
First I arranged the pattern.  Second I drew arrows showing the direction of the print.
I then cut the squares for the block.
It was a great way to keep the pieces in order and made it a fast block to stitch together.


Be sure to tag your Farmer's Wife block on Instagram with the hashtag #fw1930sqal
I have enjoyed seeing everyone's blocks on Instagram!

Happy Sewing
xo
Charise

3 comments:

  1. What lovely memories of your grandmother, I love the photo of three generations all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the memories of your grandmother. So sweet. And your fussy cutting is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blocks. Your sewing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!